Thursday, 10 May 2012

Rolo Cupcakes



I do not want to revise. 


So instead I'm going to share with you all a cupcake that a made a while ago and have been craving ever since.


You can use any basic chocolate cake recipe. This is what I used and it is by far the easiest and most delicious I have ever tried. The cakes always turn out are moist, chocolate and perfect. Just 3 simple steps. Add. Mix. Bake.


Makes 12 large cupcakes
Pre-heat oven to 180°C


150g Plain Flour
225g Sugar
75g Unsweetened cocoa
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
230ml Milk
80ml Vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 roll Rolos - Frozen

Mix together all the dry ingredients 


Mix cocoa, flour, sugar, baking soda and salt
Add all the wet ingredients. 


Yum
It looks gross, I know. But do not fear, step 3 will fix all that. 
Turn your Kenwood, Magi-Mix, Kitchen Aid, wooden spoon or any other mixing device on medium. 
Mix until all the ingredients are evenly incorporated.


Mix it like a DJ
Fill your cupcakes cases 2/3 of the way. Pop a frozen Rolo somewhere in the middle there.
Shove 'em in the oven for approximately 20 minutes depending on your oven. If you poke them with a toothpick, it should come out clean. 
The best chocolate cupcakes you will ever taste.

Now you can just eat them plain, I don't blame you these are delicious. But if your feeling fancy whip up some frosting and pipe it on. 
Garnish with fudge shavings and home-made fudge cubes.   

Woah there, Rolo surprise attack.
Issues/Comments

Now, for some unknown reason most my Rolos melted into a gooey blob at the bottom of the cupcake. WHY? 
If anybody can enlighten me on this peculiar chocolate behavior and suggest a remedy, it would be much appreciated.  


I tried to make my own caramel but my bare kitchen cupboards had other plans. I heated the anything vaguely caramel related on a low heat for a while, this included butter, milk, vanilla and caster sugar. 
I'm not entirely sure why I did this.
Anyone who knows anything about anything knows that you need cream and brown sugar. But hey, desperate times call for desperate caramel measures.
Anywho, it turned out to be a kind of grainy fudge thing.
I figured why not? And just shoved a fudgy chunk in the middle of each cupcake. 


Another issue I had was making a frosting that wasn't too rich for the cake. 
My friends informed me that I failed.
If anybody knows how to make a light frosting/icing that isn't too sweet please let me know in the comments!


Please leave a comment with any suggestions, comments, or just random thoughts. I love love love reading them!







10 comments:

  1. I'm way too nervous to try making caramel myself haha. I'm sorry your Rolos melted! But that one cross sectional picture looks pretty scrumptious to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any rolos can spring a surprise attack on me - honest :D
    This looks so tasty!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lily, these look SO good!!
    There are on my to-try list - definitely
    Pinned them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look perfect! I don't even know if I could let them get to the oven, I might just eat them all in batter form ;) SO delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha I struggled with the same issue Cathleen. Thanks for reading my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Because the batter is so thin, and the rolos are heavy, they'll sink straight to the bottom before you even put the tray in the oven. I haven't tried this myself since I made caramel ones (with a jersey caramel in the middle, same thing happened) but I read that you can put them in once they have started baking so they sit in the middle but don't sink. I'm not sure if this will affect the rising from the baking powder because you're opening the oven before half way to add them, but maybe worth a shot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the advice Monnie! I will definitely do that next time and tell you how it goes!

      Delete
  7. Oh my goodness I think I'm in love! The rolo cupcakes look incredible. I wish I had one or two or three right now, yum! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lindsey! I'll gladly send you one any time.

      Delete

I love getting your comments and reading every single one.
Seriously, do it.